japanese-style pancakes with green onion
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 389 kcal
- Total Time: 20 m
- Prep: 10 m
- Cook: 10 m
- Japanese: Negi-yaki
- 2 ounces green onion or scallion
- 2 tablespoons red pickled ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour or cake flour
- 2/3 cup bonito soup stock or water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce or sauce of Japanese-Style Pancakes
- 2 teaspoons oil
- suitable amount green laver (ao-nori)
- suitable amount dried small shrimps (hoshi-ebi) (optional)
Chop the green onion into small pieces.
Mix the flour and water (or bonito soup stock).
Add the green onion, the red pickled ginger, dried small shrimps (optional) and eggs. Mix for only 1 minute because otherwise the batter will become too hard when cooked.
Heat a medium-size frying pan on medium heat. Add the oil. Add half of the mixture (Step 3). Arrange in a circle about 1/3 in. high. Bake on medium heat about 5 minutes. Don't push with a spatula because that will make the negiyaki hard.
Turn with a spatula and bake the other side on medium heat about 3 minutes.
Coat the pancake with 1/2 to 1 tablespoon soy sauce or sauce of Japanese–Style Pancakes. Sprinkle green laver on top. Remove from the pan.
To make the second pancake, repeat Steps 4, 5 and 6.
This dish is delicious because the dough is very soft and the green laver makes it even tastier.
Japanese foods recipes
Int'l. recipes with a Japanese twist