buckwheat noodles with curry soup
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 465 kcal
- Japanese: Karē-namban-soba
- 16 ounces cooked buckwheat noodles (soba)
- 5 ounces boneless chicken breast or thigh
- 1 1/3 ounces long green onion
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 1/2 cups bonito soup stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- If you want, you can also add shichimi (seven-spice seasoning) (optional).
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon potato starch (katakuriko)
Cut the chicken into bite–sized pieces.
Slice the long green onion diagonally into 1 in. pieces.
Pour the bonito soup stock into a pan. Bring to a boil on medium heat and add the chicken.
When the chicken changes color, add the sugar, soy sauce, long green onion and curry powder. Stir until dissolved.
Add the noodles and cover. Boil for a minute. Remove from heat.
Remove the noodles from the soup and place in two big serving bowls.
Dissolve the potato starch in the 1Tb. of water. Bring the chicken, long green onion and curry soup to a boil. Add the dissolved potato starch to the pan. Stir a few times until it becomes creamy. Boil for one more minute. Remove from heat.
Scoop out the creamy mixture and place over the noodles. Sprinkle with the shichimi (seven-spice seasoning) if desired.
The creamy curry soup suits buckwheat noodles (soba) very well. Karē-namban-soba is a warming noodle dish.
Japanese foods recipes
Int'l. recipes with a Japanese twist